Zeitgeist - Five Issues of the Modern Age - the purpose of this collection is to explore human contact through society and to address the important contemporary political issues at play right now.
The five themes are
The Pandemic - we are looking for poems about poets experience of the COVID-19, the effect of lockdowns, and how the world is changing.
Black Lives Matter - we are looking for poems about racism, about identity, and about changing the narrative.
Climate Change - we are looking for poems, about Man's effect on the environment, about Nature, and about our changing natural world.
Domestic Violence - we are looking for poems about coercive relationships, about coping with violence, and about living with the enemy.
Global Economy - we are looking for poems about how our world is structured economically, about poverty and injustice, and about money and power.
1. Poets can submit up to two poems per entry
2. Poets can choose one or two themes - those focussing on one theme should pick that single theme from the dropdown when completing the entry form. Those choosing two, should pick "Combination" and specify which two themes when requested.
3. The submission fee shall be $15 and submission must be made through submittable.com; the submission window opens 15th December 2020, and closes 4th April 2021
4. Entries should not be longer than eighty lines - this does not include the title or breaks between stanzas.
5. All poems will be printed in single word spacing.
6. Poets submitting work declare that the work they are submitting is solely their own and for which they own copyright.
7. Authors are responsible for informing Willowdown Books of any licenses or conditions they may have assigned to third parties; any dispute that may arise is solely a matter for the author and the third party.
8. All entries should comply with discrimination laws of the USA and UK - if you are unaware of what this means, please use your common sense - do not discriminate on the grounds of race, gender, religion, etc, or submit inflammatory or inciteful (as legally understood) entries.
9. The editor’s decision on acceptance is final and no correspondence will be entered into regarding the entry.
10. There will be one prize of $125 which will be chosen by the editor, in consultation with his team. No work by anyone connected with Willowdown Books will be eligible for the prize.
11. An anthology of the winning poems will be published around September 1st, 2021
12. Should not enough poems be entered in all, or any one of the categories, the editor reserves the write to reformat the anthology to reflect the entries submitted; or in the event of too few entries, to cancel the publication of the anthology.
13. There will be no refund of the submission fee once entries have been submitted.
14. Copyright of each individual poems remains with the poet; copyright of the anthology as a whole remains with Willowdown Books. Our copyright notice is set out below and only entries agreeing to this will be accepted:
Should my poem(s) be selected, I, as author of the work, agree to give Willowdown Books permission to publish my poem(s) within the anthology known as Zeitgeist - Five Issues of the Modern Age (2021), in any media, and to use my name and poem in any marketing or promotional activity which pertains to the marketing and promotion of said anthology. Willowdown Books agree that they cannot print or use any other media to publish any poem from the anthology individually, except with the express permission of the author.
The following, or equivalent, will appear in the anthology;
Willowdown Books asserts its copyright of this book as an anthology, by which is meant the collection of poems. Willowdown Books asserts no copyright over any of the individual poems. Copyright is asserted (by both Willowdown Books and the individual authors) under the Copyright Laws of the British Commonwealth of Nations, the United States of America and all the countries of the Berne and Universal Copyright Conventions. All rights, including Stage, Motion Picture, Television, Public Reading, Translation into foreign language, any Internet or related media is strictly reserved (by the author, or Willowdown Books as detailed above).
15. By entering this competition you are accepting the above rules and agreeing to the copyright notice.